Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The happy tracker shows you how it's done...

For those of you who have never been on a land safari, there are two important job roles per vehicle. There's the ranger, who is also the driver, and of course, an expert in all things wildlife and nature. Then you have a tracker, who is usually a ranger in training, and his (or her) main job is to sit up front on a high chair to scan the reserve for features of interest and interpret animal tracks on the ground as we pass. He then relays the information back to the ranger with a system of hand signals.

Sounds easy?

I decided to give it a go during a morning game tour. Let's take a look at how I did.



I scan the horizon with eagle eyes, searching the dust plains for signs of life.



I try the other direction, thinking I may have seen a significant movement in the bush.




Yes! It's a whole stampede of hungry lions headed straight for us! (I point, to show my brilliant discovery)




I'm terribly pleased with myself. The audience break out into rapturous applause. Now, I truly am a happy tracker.

No comments: