Monday, November 12, 2007

4 Months Ago: Africa

On a sunny morning in Devon I had received news of Africa, and from the floral-printed walls of the breakfast room I had imagined the sound of distant drums and the chanting of many voices. As I stared smilingly into my Earl Grey I could almost hear the roar of lions and the screech of an elephant thumping through the game reserve.

An old acquaintance (discovered quite by luck last December, when I had escaped Canouan for the neighbouring island of Union), had just that morning emailed me to confirm that he would like me to accompany him to Africa, where we would be reviewing two safari lodges for inclusion in his privately owned and published travel magazine, Deluxe Traveller. He wanted me to write the review, while he would be taking the photographs.

Of course, it was an opportunity I couldn't refuse, and so the flights were booked that very day.

A few weeks later I was on my way to Johannesburg, from there to Botswana, and then by river boat to customs at Namibia immigration. Beyond that isolated island outpost on the Chobe River I continued by motor boat to our first destination, The Ntwala Island Lodge: an exclusive retreat in the middle of the Zambezi; accessible only by boat, and surrounded by exotic wildlife, rainforest jungle and surging river rapids. Kenneth Reece, (owner of Deluxe Traveller) was due to meet me there the following day. Here's some excerpts taken from my (as yet unpublished) review.

************

"...Our suite had a spacious sprawling interior and opened onto a huge deck complete with plunge pool. Private hammock seats were perfectly positioned at the waterfront, granting us a front-row view of the vibrant Zambezi River and the tropical islet beyond. An ancient Jackal-Berry tree sprung through the centre of the terrace, standing sentinel over our outside dining area..."














"An afternoon picnic was arranged in the romantic setting of a lush neighbouring island as an alternative to lunch at the lodge. Alfred navigated us over the rapids and we landed on the shore of a pristine tropical oasis called Olive Island. Walking through the jungle canopy we were amazed to discover a beautiful clearing, which stretched down to the river. A picnic blanket had been laid out on the sandy ground and a tantalising feast spread out before us. Champagne glistened invitingly in an icebox and scatter-cushions were arranged for our comfort.
We enjoyed a languid lunch just metres from the rushing rapids, surrounded by the sounds of the jungle: the chattering of monkeys and the chorus of birds. Here was paradise found..."
































"...A great sense of tranquillity filled me as we drifted silently with the current and soaked up the glorious morning sunshine. It was not long before I felt a huge pressure on my line, and began to reel in with all my strength. It was a three-kilo tiger fish, glistening and writhing, showing a gaping maw of tiny teeth. I was delighted. We captured the moment on camera before releasing the fish back into the river to fight another day...."

No comments: