Monday, January 29, 2007

Sea Sickness of the Heart

After over 30 days at sea, and more than another 10 to go, I have come to a profound understanding of the term, "sea sick." I always believed that this was a concept reserved exclusively for those poor individuals who find themselves involuntarily vomiting overboard at the first hint of motion in the ocean (or that sensation I have come to fondly describe as 'the washing machine' effect).

However it has come to mean something a little different for me. I never thought I could be bored by the vision of celestial dawn light exploding over the horizon, or the delightful frolicking of curious dolphins playing around the hull. I never believed that the sight of the endless rolling ocean could fail to inspire me, or that the long days filled with nothing to do but sleep and read books could be anything other than sheer pleasure. I imagined tanning myself on the deck and re-creating that old advert for Piz Buin sun cream, where they have a perfectly tanned skinny model lying on the deck of a white catamaran in rapturous relaxation surrounded by gorgeous blue water. Unfortunately I am neither deeply tanned nor skinny. It's too hot to lie outside under the equator sun, and there's literally no where to go and nothing to do for exercise so I have become soft and flabby, not to mention weak as a kitten. I have never been around so much beautiful water for so long that I have been unable to swim or dive in, it's like dangling a carrot under my nose, really, it is.

Yes, I am sick of the sea.

I am so bored of staring into space, and, or, reading a book that I could chew my own fist for the want of something else to do. I miss my other hobbies, such as swimming and diving, fiddling around with computer editing programs, and playing fantasy video games. I miss the perks of civilisation such as being able to pop to the shops, catch a movie or go out for a meal with friends. I miss cosy nights at the pub and leaving late into cold fresh air that turns my breath to steam as I wrap my woolly scarf tighter around my neck. I miss my parents and our tradition of watching rubbish Saturday night TV programs with a bacon sandwich and a cup of tea (proper British teabags with real milk, not some foreign affair that tastes of stewed tree bark). I have forgotten what it feels like to sleep longer than four hours in a bed that doesn't move, and in a room with windows that you can leave wide open all night. Ah blessed fresh air that won't give me heat rash and induce me to pour with perspiration every moment of every day. Did I mention baths? I can't tell you how long it has been since I had a bath. Oh, a lovely bath with bubbles and candles and a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon would go down a treat right now, believe me.

So it appears I have reached a conclusion for now. It's almost time to go home... I think. Hmmm... at least for an extended visit...later this month ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although I haven't been on the sea, ever... I think, I know how you feel. You are a bit homesick and tired to be on a boat that bores you all day. But still, it sounds hell a lot better than what I have been doing.
Be strong and determend like you always are. You will fight your way through.
Love
Narsh