Monday, January 29, 2007

The Most Scary Thing....Ever.

There have been reports of brave young soldiers crying for their mothers at a critical moment of battle when they realise that immortality is not theirs and every moment may be their last. While I can't profess to understand the terror of war, I have experienced a moment last night which was one of the most frightening experiences of my life, and one in which I was definitely wishing for my mother. Unfortunately, I must admit that I was curled up in a blanket like a baby, sobbing involuntarily every time a monster wave smashed over the boat in the midst of a text book Tehuantepec storm wind measuring 10 on the beaufort scale. I would love to say that I was a courageous sailor steering the boat in the face of howling winds and thunderous ocean onslaughts, but I wasn't. I was pathetic. I was useless. I was totally, utterly, shitting myself.

It appears that we strayed too far from the protection of the coast, and by the time the legendary Tehuantepec hit us, it was too late to find a safe haven. The first I knew of it was when I awoke at midnight with sudden and unexpected sea sickness. Dazed and confused I moved out of my small cabin inside the hull to discover that the boat had taken on a life of its own with violent churning momentum throwing me bodily against the sides of the short corridor, I moved upstairs to the central communal area where the the impact of hull on sea was less intense, and began my long vigil on on a seat which (unfortunately) had panoramic views of the raging ocean around us. The same duplicitous Jekyll and Hyde ocean that had changed personality in a scarily short time and was currently attempting to swallow us whole like a human apperitif.



I became locked in a state of fear, and clutching my blanket to my chin, I whimpered each time another wave exploded into the side of us. The power of the ocean has never held more awe or respect for me.

Finally, blissfully, the dawn came, and I fell into a restless sleep filled with nightmares of yawning ocean mouths and creatures from the deep. The Tehuantepec was still upon us, but its fervour had lessened slightly, and the light banished away the fear of the unknown. Sure, we were still taking huge waves, but at least you can see them coming in the daylight and can find a suitable crash position.

I slept most of the day sleeping (ignorance is bliss) while we rid ourselves of the tail end of the storm, and now I am only too overjoyed to tell you that we are safely moored inside Huatulco Marina, Mexico.

My wine tastes sweet. Hell, my life tastes sweet. Here's to you Tehuantepec, and the hope that we won't be meeting again anytime soon. Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm wine. Does it taste good in Mexico? Probably it will after that big storm which I cannot pronounce the name of it. I am glad that you are save and sound.
Loves and kissies, Narsh.