Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Panama: The Civilised Side

We are happily moored in a lovely marina, having successfully travelled through the famous Panama Canal from the dirty and dangerous city of Colon, which is the Caribbean side, all the way through to the shining waters of the Pacific Ocean and Panama City.

Colon was right out of an old latino gangster movie. Dusty, decrepid streets somehow clinging onto a memory of their past glamour like an old photo. Looking up at the faded balconies that overhang each street I could imagine a time when their facades were bright and proudly filled with rambling hanging flowers and exotic pot palms, where people would sit for an apperitif and watch the world go by. I enjoyed wandering around for 15 minutes, but I was highly aware of my alien status and the dire warnings not to walk alone on any quiet street, or dress expensively lest you be attacked in broad daylight!

So, the canal crossing... what an experience. I wondered at times if I was dreaming as I pulled on ropes with all my strength to hold the boat stable in the powerful current generated by the lock system. We were tiny in comparison to some of vessels that crossed with us, and the object of attention from two day cruise boats packed full of American tourists which were nested alongside us. I felt like a celebrity with all these people waving and shouting and snapping photos! Ha! When we finally passed through the final lock, and I saw the Pacific for the first time, I was so excited! Wow, what an achievement!































We´re staying in this marina for a couple of days to chill out and prepare the boat for the coming journey to Costa Rica and Mexico. I think I will walk along the promenade now, and watch the sun set with a nice cold beer! Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

girl i miss you, feeling so tempted to swim an ocean to join your fabulous adventures xx love your homegirl jadey soon to be ex makeup artist come adventure seeker xx