Monday, February 20, 2006

The flamingo and the list


Tying up loose ends is never an easy job. In fact I have so many loose ends trailing around me at the moment, that I have cats chasing me wherever I go. It's quite a distraction.

I confess I have become addicted to making lists. At first I began with the solid, important things, like:


1) Rent apartment out
2) Sell car
3) Re-direct mail

(Next to each item is a box, with a specially designated pink pen for that all important tick)

Unfortunately these solid, important things are not easily attainable in the immediate future, and I became quickly frustrated when my special pink pen (with a flamingo on the end, no less) sat unused, unwanted, and unloved in the corner of my desk, glaring at me in that way that only feathered flamingos can.

So, I have since added what I like to think of as "more achieveable" goals, such as:

4) Organise paperwork
5) Clean microwave
6) Book a facial (in case you're questioning this entry, this is technically an important part of my preparation...my skin needs to be conditioned for that harsh climate)

Some of these have already given me that smug satisfaction that results from a big pink tick from my big pink pen.

Yes, I think. I am an achiever.

It has come to my attention, however, that I *may* have got a little carried away with my list-making. Upon confirming my trip, I was all action and enthusiasm, and was thus able to award myself more ticks than a stray dog. However, my positive achievements have begun to dwindle in number, and now I find myself extending "The List" just for the sake of another tick. You may call this procrastinating, a waste of time and paper, or simply ludicrous. I call it positive thinking.

13) Make bed
14) Brush teeth
15) Get dressed
16) Eat

Don't blame me. The flamingo made me.

No comments: